Saturday, October 12, 2013

WATCH YOUR STEP


 "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:13-14)



Have you ever found yourself hesitating on your attempt to try something because you were thinking about the things that went wrong in the past?  Maybe you tried to start a business before, and it was unsuccessful, so you decided not to try anymore.  Maybe you tried to talk to someone before and they wouldn't listen, so you decided not to try again.  Maybe you had a terrible break-up in a past relationship, so you decided not to love again.  There are so many ways we use our past failures to keep us from moving forward.

As I read today's scripture, I noticed that Paul wrote: "but this ONE thing I do", but then mentioned TWO things. This must mean that those two things are so connected that they can't be done alone. We can't press toward something without forgetting what is behind!  We can't focus our minds on Jesus if we are constantly remembering our past mistakes and dwelling on all the wrong we've done.  The scripture says "I press toward the mark".  To press means to strain, or to give it all you've got.  If you press, that means it's not always easy to do.  A runner can't go forward while looking back or he'll slow down... and possibly fall. 

Forgetting the past doesn't mean to wipe it out of your memory. It simply means to focus on what God has in store for you in the future.  The past should be used to strengthen you so that you can press forward.  Remember this: Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, but it empties today of its strength.  In other words, if you are bringing worries into today...you're weakening your possibility of a brighter tomorrow. 

Decide in your heart today, that you will leave whatever happened in your past behind you.  This is a new day and a new chance for you to start fresh!  Your reward is too great to risk losing it because of things you can't change.  Take Jesus' hand and let Him take you to the finish line like the champion you are!! 

Prayer:

Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for giving me the desire and strength to move forward.  I know that if I keep my mind on you, I can make it to the goal.  Struggles may come, but I refuse to let them push me backwards.  Lord I place my hand in yours and ask you to run this race with me.  I know that I have victory because you already won this race.  Thank you for encouraging me to keep pressing forward.  Continue to strengthen me as I go forth. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment