Tuesday, October 15, 2013

THERE'S BEEN A CHANGE OF PLANS



18 As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 19 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” 20 At once they left their nets and followed him.
21 Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, 22 and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.  (Matthew 4:18-22)



Throughout the word of God you'll find numerous people called to follow Him.  Never will you read where God asked them what they wanted to do.  I once heard a funny quote, "If you want to make God laugh, tell him YOUR plans."  This is a very true statement.  We have all made plans of some sort.  Careers, businesses, travel, entertainment, events, and the list goes on.  But did you ever notice when you chose to follow Christ, your plans have a tendency to be changed!  If you truly decide to follow Him, there are many things that must change in order to accomplish His will in your life.  Don't worry, you aren't the only one who's gone through this.  It's just God's way, and His way is perfect.
As for God, His way is perfect;
The word of the Lord is proven;
He is a shield to all who trust in Him.
(Psalms 18:30)

One change that He often requires has to do with our lifestyle.  Andrew, Peter. James, and John were fishermen before they became disciples.  Their lives revolved around their occupation, but when Jesus asked them to follow Him, they instantly and willingly made a sudden change.

Another story found in scripture in the book of  Matthew 19:21-22.  There was a rich young man who walked away sad when he realized that he had to give up all of his riches to follow Christ.  Usually when there is a calling on your life to follow Him, there are changes that must be made.  These changes could even affect your personal relationships.  James and John worked in their family business with their father. Saying yes to God meant they wouldn't see their family and friends very often.  But He promises a great return on the sacrifices we make for Him. 

"And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life."
 (Matthew 19:29)

Our Father's plans for our life are based on His purpose, goodness, and mercy.  Because His way is perfect, we can trust in the direction He gives us. Accepting His will and making the necessary change of plans in our life is the best decision we could ever make.


"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."  Proverbs 3:5-6)

Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for the love you have for me and the desire that you have for me to follow you.  You have everything, but yet you still want me.  Give me the courage to let go of my plans so that I may do your will.  I know that your way is perfect.  I may not understand where you lead me, but Lord I will follow.  I put my trust in you and I know that you will be my shield.  Use me for your purpose. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Follow the Leader!  Be blessed!

2 comments: